The Homeschool 1-on-1 Series
As we head towards the end of July, it's hard to believe it, but the start of the new school year is just a month and a half away! We have heard from homeschooling families who have questions as they prepare for their first year or another exciting year of homeschooling.
We have a great resource for all of you -- our on-demand videos of our previous Homeschool 1-on-1 sessions from this spring, and our Experts Panel Series from last summer. In these videos, we ask questions of our panelists, questions that you, our audience have supplied!
To make it easy for you to browse through the topics of our on-demand videos over the last 15 months, we've summarized each video and linked them here. We hope you find this resource helpful!
Happy Homeschooling, everyone! :)
Homeschool 1-on-1 Series: April 2021 through Present
These are sessions where Homeschool Concierge staff, Windi Eklund and Paige McKinney, talk 1-on-1 with a homeschool or educational expert.
1. We began our series in April with Josh Berg, the CEO of Beautiful Feet Books. Josh spoke about his homeschooling experience growing up, and the approach Beautiful Feet Books has in teaching history through literature, along with their passion for access to high-quality books. Watch our on-demand video with Josh Berg HERE.
2. Our next session was with Jim Warner from MoxieBox Art. Jim inspired us with his entrepreneurial spirit, which he's brought to MoxieBox Art. In addition to high-quality art subscription boxes, MoxieBox Art has launched an educational Art Museums page, and an Art game designed by the creator of Apple-to-Apples. Watch our on-demand video with MoxieBox Art HERE.
3. Our third session was with Elmarie Hyman, the owner and founder of Learn Beyond the Book, a group of Southern California community centers that offers academic and creative classes for kids in TK-12th grade. Elmarie has so much heart and passion for what she does, it's enchanting to listen to her talk about Learn Beyond the Book's founding and how involved she is, collaborating with teachers and making sure every student is happy and thriving. Watch our on-demand video with Elmarie HERE.
4. Our fourth session was with Kevin Kiley, a California Assemblymember who is an avid defender of school choice. We recently caught up with Assemblymember Kiley while we were at the Capitol in the Assembly Education Committee, where he serves as co-chair. It was a treat to have him join us for a 1-on-1 webinar. Watch our on-demand video with Kevin Kiley HERE.
5. For our fifth session we were joined by Lauren Sefton, a Board Member who serves the educational non-profit, Colleges That Change Lives. Lauren walked us through an informative presentation that summarizes CTCL's mission and outreach. She outlined how families can use CTCL to help them navigate a student-centered college search approach, by expanding their search to include the small liberal arts colleges on CTCL's list. Watch our on-demand video with Lauren Sefton from CTCL HERE.
6. Our sixth Homeschool 1-on-1 session was with Pascaline Servan-Schreiben, the VP of Development, and Kate Campbell, the Inbound Channels Director for University of the People. As the first online, tuition-free, American-accredited university, UoPeople is making higher education affordable and accessible to all qualified applicants while providing support from application to graduation. Watch our on-demand video with UoPeople HERE.
7. For our seventh session we were joined by the homeschool super-star Cathy Duffy of Cathy Duffy Reviews. Cathy Duffy has been reviewing curriculum for the homeschooling community since 1984. She also reviews other resources she believes are important for those interested in homeschooling, education, the origins debate, and related political and spiritual topics. It was an honor to have such a candid and intimate conversation with her. Watch our on-demand video with Cathy Duffy HERE.
8. Our eighth Homeschool 1-on-1 session was with Rachel Tidd, the creator of Wild Learning, which is the home of Wild Math and the new Wild Reading -- just release in June of 2021! Rachel is a very passionate educator with so much experience and expertise that she is putting to use with the creation of her beautiful curriculums Wild Math and Wild Reading. It was a true pleasure getting to speak with her and learn about her curriculums. Watch our on-demand video with Rachel Tidd of Wild Learning HERE.
9. For our ninth Homeschool 1-on-1 we spoke with two lovely curriculum consultants, Deanne Crawford and Ruth Tennis from Rainbow Resource Center. Deanne and Ruth explained their role at Rainbow Resource Center and how the FREE curriculum consulting works. We were thrilled to learn about their resource site, Our Homeschool Forum, and all of the reviews, blog articles, lessons, videos, and more that they offer for free. Watch our on-demand video with Rainbow Resource Center HERE.
Visit our Homeschool 1-on-1 page to view our upcoming sessions and register for them. We're hosting Stanza International Academy on 7/31 and BookShark on 8/14. We hope you can join us! After our live webinars conclude we usually provide the on-demand video up on our blog within 48 hours.
Homeschool Experts Panels: Summer 2020 through Present
These are sessions where Homeschool Concierge Director, Windi Eklund moderates a panel of experts related to a particular homeschool or educational topic.
1. Homeschool Experts - Session 1 - Sharing Advice and Answering Your Questions.
Our panelists of homeschool parents shared homeschool info and answered audience questions related to all things homeschooling! Watch the on-demand video of our Homeschool Experts Session 1 HERE.
2. Homeschool Experts - Session 2 - Homeschool Support Organizations.
Our panelists of homeschool parents shared information related to homeschool support organizations in California. Watch the on-demand video of our Homeschool Experts Session 2 HERE.
3. Homeschool Experts - Session 3 - Private School Satellite Programs.
Our panelists of homeschool parents are experts on PSPs. Watch the on-demand video of our Homeschool Experts Session 3 HERE.
4. Homeschool Experts - Session 4 - Finding and Building Community.
Our panelists speak about the paths to building a homeschool community, as well as the challenges. Watch the on-demand video of our Homeschool Experts Session 4 HERE.
5. Homeschool Experts - Session 5 - The Importance of Nurturing Creativity.
Our panelists discuss ways to bring creativity into your homeschooling life. Watch the on-demand video of our Homeschool Experts Session 5 HERE.
6. Homeschool Experts - Session 6 - Live Q&A With Long-Time Homeschool Parents.
Our panelists are all long-time homeschooling parents with lots of wisdom to share. Watch the on-demand video of our Homeschool Experts Session 6 HERE.
7. Homeschool Experts - Session 7 - Homeschool Curriculum.
Our panelists discuss a myriad of different homeschool curriculums and homeschooling without a packaged curriculum. Watch the on-demand video of our Homeschool Experts Session 7 HERE.
8. Homeschool Experts - Session 8 - Homeschooling Multiple Ages.
Our panelists discuss homeschooling children of multiple ages and offer great tips and info. Watch the on-demand video of our Homeschool Experts Session 8 HERE.
Coming soon -- a Homeschool Experts panel on homeschooling the high school years!