Assemblymember Patrick O’Donnell recently introduced new language in a bill, AB 1316. This bill is being heard in the California Assembly Education Committee on Wednesday, April 28, 2021. The Committee will begin their session at 9:00 am and AB 1316 is agenda item 11 out of 12.
While the California Assembly provides the public the option to watch the Committee hearings via live stream, we have found that the stream is quite delayed. We suggest calling the Committee by telephone.
If you are able to help us share the call-in number posts with your community groups, we will greatly appreciate it since we will be at the Capitol trying to oppose AB 1316 in person.
*UPDATED WED 4/28/21 W/CALL-IN NUMBER* PLEASE SEE BELOW.
Call-in Details and Instructions: Once you have the phone number, these are the detailed directions about calling into the hearing on Wednesday:
1. Dial the toll-free number provided on the day of the hearing. Call-in number: 1-877-692-8957
2. Enter the passcode/pin provided: 1315437 then press #.
3. A recording will come on to tell you that if you are not the meeting host or cohost, press #.
4. There will be a pause.
5. A recording will tell you the total number of participants on the line.
6. You will then be able to listen to the hearing in progress. You will be in a listen-only mode.
7. When the bill is up that you want to speak to, and the Committee starts accepting support/opposition via the phone line you will hear the operator state to press 1, then 0 to indicate that you would like to speak.
8. The operator will come on the line and tell you your caller number. Write this number down.
9. Listen and wait for the operator to call your number. When your number is called, your line will be unmuted and you can provide your statement of support/opposition.
It is very important that you listen carefully to the Committee Meeting and that you only speak once they call for the opposition of AB 1316.
We are being told that they will limit testimony to only 10 minutes per bill. In an effort to try to get as many of us through the phone lines as possible, please be ready to speak.
All you will be able to say is:
Your name, your city or affiliation, and that you oppose AB 1316.
For example, I would say: I am Windi Eklund from Placentia and I oppose AB 1316.
Thank you for your support of our children and charter schools.
Additional Updates 4/28/21:
UPDATE 12:40 pm -- WE DID IT!!! We made our voices heard!!!! THANK YOU, EVERYONE!!!! I'm so sorry we didn't get the result we wanted, and we didn't all get a chance to speak and they had issues on their end that took some of our time, but we still appreciate EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU who took the time out of your day to hop on the phone lines and try to speak your testimony. We see you and appreciate ALL OF YOU!!!! Participation in democracy matters, and we did that, and we showed that to our families and our children and our schools, our communities, and each other. We will keep participating, and we will keep fighting.
PLEASE NOTE: You can still follow along after you’ve given your testimony by logging in to the live audio or video stream from the Education Committee on the CA Assembly pages here:
Live Audio feed: https://www.assembly.ca.gov/media/437-video/audio
Live Video Feed: https://www.assembly.ca.gov/media/437-video
Please sign up for our email list with periodic updates on bills that impact school choice. Please fill out your contact info and then at the bottom of the form select Legislation Take Action.
Connect with us on social media for updates:
@LegislationTakeAction on Facebook
@LegislationTakeAction on Instagram
Please consider donating to help us continue to support school choice for all students through charter schools, private schools and homeschooling!
If you are posting on social media please also include the following hashtags for our community grassroots movement:
Facebook and Instagram Tag: @LegislationTakeAction