August 12, 2017 (Saturday for Families)
All Day Option! Will need to sign up for each event separately
9:30AM - 2:00PM Homestead Tour
$20.00 Ages 4-17
4425 Hwy 78, Santa Ysabel, CA 92070
2:45PM - 4:45PM Eagle Mining Co. Tour
$4.00 Ages 5-13
2320 C Street Julian, CA 92036 USA
We'll start the day at Fort Cross Old Timey Adventures with their Homestead tour.
From their site: After a long journey headed west, it's time to settle in and work the farm! With no modern conveniences available nearby, we need to be self sufficient if we're going to make it on our own!
Julian's homesteading history began in the mid 1800's, and the property of Fort Cross is chalk-full of genuine stories of that early settler time. Every activity station will include real stories from the history of the surrounding area, and important people from Julian's past.
- Hayride: with old fashioned folk song sing-alongs
- Hoedown: Folk dancing with jug band participation
- Old Time Games: Walking on stilts, tug-o-war, hoops & sticks, game of graces, gunnysack race (time restraints may limit how many games are played)
- Frontier Chores: Laundry, gathering sticks for the fire, dough rolling, and butter making the old fashioned way! Candle dipping, too! Yours to keep!
- Farming: Plowing and gardening. Plant a seed to take home!
- Petting Zoo: Visit our animals and learn about the important role that farm animals played in early California frontier life.
- Craft: Make an old fashioned whirligig toy!
Families are welcome to spend extra time before or after the tour enjoying the property with parental supervision. They have some nice walking paths and a tire swing. You can also see the petting zoo from the outside. Coffee and snacks are available for purchase. You are welcome to bring a picnic lunch and find a spot on the grounds to relax. California Mountain Bakery is open from 9-5PM and is a very short walk away.
The host will be available after the tour to go on a guided nature walk. He will talk about the various plants and their medicinal properties.